Thursday, November 15, 2018

Unity Free Tutorials

For this week's Unity tutorials, I have begun working on the game I am going to make. The game I am making is a 2D platformer game and I have watched some tutorials for starting my game. I found a Youtuber name Brackeys who has some tutorials for making a 2D platformer in Unity.

For the first tutorial, it was the basic starting point of getting my character to move and the camera to follow the character. I downloaded the 2D assets pack to help me make my 2D platformer. The pack came with a character design and prototypes for the ground which the character walks on when in play mode. The look of this character will not be the final look in my game. At first everything was going well but when I first tried to enter play mode, once again I encounter errors again with the script just like in other tutorials. I was frustrated at first but I got it working by editing the script of Platformer2DUserControl. 

The Platformer2DUserControl script needed fixing with these these changes below:

In the script, delete the namespace reference 'using UnityStandardAssets.CrossPlatformInput;'
Finally: under 'Update' and 'FixedUpdate' replace 'CrossPlatformInputManager' with 'Input'. They should read: m_Jump = Input.GetButtonDown("Jump"); and float h = Input.GetAxis("Horizontal");

After this, I focused on the main camera to follow and be in the same position as the character. I worked on how smooth the camera would be, meaning how focused it would be on the character. It can help for player direction to see what lies in front of them when moving forward.

For the second tutorial, it was about adding art environment. I've used some artwork from the asset store that fits the idea of the stage level I have for my game as I didn't want to use artwork from the tutorial video. The tutorial helped me learn how to use the artwork for foregrounds and backgrounds. The tutorial also showed how the add grounds that can be used for platforms but I haven't added any yet.

I feel this was a good start at making my platform game and look forward to continue working on it.

Tutorial 1
Tutorial 2

                                                       
                                                                  Work in Unity

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ciaran, I really enjoyed reading your post and im really impressed with your game idea, i cant wait to see the final game! I think ive seen some of brackeys video suggested to me on youtube but I haven’t clicked into any yet, i see he has lots of tutorials on both 2d and 3d games so i might have a look through and see if i can find some cool tips and tutorials to help me in my game development. I think making a game 2d gives it a nice look and brings me back to the gameboy mario days. I like that you included your fixes for the C# script, this could really help somebody out if they come across your blog and are having similar problems

    ReplyDelete